The statewide open season for raccoon may be set by the commissioner.
Notwithstanding subdivision 1 and section 97B.005, subdivision 1, a person may use dogs to pursue and tree raccoons without killing or capturing the raccoons during the closed season and a license is not required.
To take raccoons between one-half hour after sunset and one-half hour before sunrise, a person:
(1) must be on foot;
(2) may use an artificial light only if hunting with dogs;
(3) may use a handgun or rifle capable of firing only rimfire cartridges of .17 or .22 caliber, including .22 magnum; and
(4) may not use shotgun shells with larger diameter of shot than No. 4 shot.
A person may not take a raccoon:
(1) in a den or hollow tree;
(2) by cutting down a tree occupied by raccoon; or
(3) by setting fire to a tree or using smoke.