Subdivision 1. Season. The statewide open season for raccoon may be set by the commissioner.
Subd. 2. Period for treeing raccoons. Notwithstanding subdivision 1 and section 97B.005, subdivision 1, a person may use dogs to pursue and tree raccoons without killing or capturing the raccoons during the closed season and a license is not required.
Subd. 3. Nighttime hunting restrictions. To take raccoons between sunset and sunrise, a person:
(1) must be on foot;
(2) may use an artificial light only if hunting with dogs;
(3) may not use a rifle other than one of a .22 inch caliber with .22 short, long, or long rifle, rimfire ammunition; and
(4) may not use shotgun shells with larger than No. 4 shot.
Subd. 4. Prohibited methods of taking. A person may not take a raccoon:
(1) in a den or hollow tree;
(2) by cutting down a tree occupied by raccoon; or
(3) by setting fire to a tree or using smoke.
HIST: 1986 c 386 art 2 s 46; 1987 c 81 s 1; 1993 c 51 s 1; 1993 c 269 s 19; 2005 c 146 s 33
Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes