(a) For the purposes of this section, the following terms have the meanings given.
(b) "Made in Minnesota" means the manufacture in this state of solar photovoltaic modules:
(1) at a manufacturing facility located in Minnesota that is registered and authorized to manufacture and apply the UL 1703 certification mark to solar photovoltaic modules by Underwriters Laboratory (UL), CSA International, Intertek, or an equivalent UL-approved independent certification agency;
(2) that bear UL 1703 certification marks from UL, CSA International, Intertek, or an equivalent UL-approved independent certification agency, which must be physically applied to the modules at a manufacturing facility described in clause (1); and
(3) that are manufactured in Minnesota:
(i) via manufacturing processes that must include tabbing, stringing, and lamination; or
(ii) by interconnecting low-voltage direct current photovoltaic elements that produce the final useful photovoltaic output of the modules.
(c) "Solar photovoltaic module" has the meaning given in section 116C.7791, subdivision 1, paragraph (e).
Notwithstanding any other law to the contrary, if the commissioner engages in any project for the construction, improvement, maintenance, or repair of any building, highway, road, bridge, or land owned or controlled by the department and the construction, improvement, maintenance, or repair involves installation of one or more solar photovoltaic modules, the commissioner must ensure that the solar photovoltaic modules purchased and installed are "Made in Minnesota" as defined in subdivision 1, paragraph (b).
Subdivision 2 does not apply if:
(1) as a condition of the receipt of federal financial assistance for a specific project, the commissioner is required to use a procurement method that might result in the award of a contract to a manufacturer that does not meet the "Made in Minnesota" criteria established in subdivision 1, paragraph (b); or
(2) no solar photovoltaic modules are available that meet the "Made in Minnesota" criteria and fulfill the function required by the project.
Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes