(a) The following data created, collected, stored, or maintained by the department for purposes of obtaining a noncommercial game and fish license, cross-country ski pass, horse pass, or snowmobile trail sticker; registering a recreational motor vehicle; or any other electronic licensing transaction are private data on individuals as defined in section 13.02, subdivision 12: name, addresses, driver's license number, and date of birth. The data may be disclosed for law enforcement purposes. The data, other than the driver's license number, may be disclosed to a government entity and for natural resources management purposes, including recruitment, retention, and training certification and verification.
(b) Private data on individuals under paragraph (a) may be disclosed as follows:
(1) for use by any government agency, including a court or law enforcement agency, in carrying out its functions, or any private person or entity acting on behalf of a federal, state, or local agency in carrying out its functions;
(2) for use in connection with matters of vehicle or operator safety and theft, emissions, product alterations, recalls or advisories, and performance monitoring;
(3) for use in the normal course of business by a legitimate business or its agents, employees, or contractors, in order to verify the accuracy of personal information submitted by an individual. If the information as submitted is not correct or is no longer correct, correct information may be obtained only for the purpose of preventing fraud by, pursuing legal remedies against, or recovering on a debt or security interest against the individual. If the person requesting access is acting as the agent of a lienholder, the requester must submit proof of a contract with the lienholder;
(4) for use in connection with any civil, criminal, administrative, or arbitration proceedings in any federal, state, or local court or agency or before any self-regulatory body, including service of process, investigation in anticipation of litigation, and the execution or enforcement of judgments and orders, or pursuant to an order of a federal, state, or local court, provided that the requester provides a copy of the court order;
(5) for use by any insurer or insurance support organization, or by a self-insured entity, or its agents, employees, or contractors, in connection with claims investigation activities or antifraud activities. If the person requesting access is an agent of an insurance company, the requester must provide the insurance company's name;
(6) for use in providing notice to the owners of towed or impounded recreational vehicles or watercraft. The person requesting access must provide the name, address, and telephone number of the entity that requested that the recreational vehicle or watercraft be towed;
(7) for use by any licensed private investigative agency or licensed security service for any purpose permitted under this section, provided that the person provides a copy of a valid license; or
(8) where the use is related to the physical safety or security of operators, vehicles, pedestrians, or property.
The commissioner must not disclose data under this paragraph if the commissioner concludes that the requester is likely to use the data for an improper purpose or other purpose not authorized by this paragraph.