Every person shall wear industrial quality eye protective devices when participating in, observing or performing any function in connection with, any courses or activities taking place in eye protection areas, as defined in subdivision 3, of any school, college, university or other educational institution in the state.
Any student failing to comply with such requirements may be temporarily suspended from participation in said course and the registration of a student for such course may be canceled for willful, flagrant, or repeated failure to observe the above requirements.
Eye protection areas shall include, but not to be limited to, vocational or industrial art shops, science or other school laboratories, or school or institutional facilities in which activities are taking place and materials are being used involving:
(1) hot molten metals;
(2) milling, sawing, turning, shaping, cutting, grinding or stamping of any solid materials;
(3) heat treatment, tempering or kiln firing of any metal or other materials;
(4) gas or electric arc welding;
(5) repair or servicing of any vehicle or mechanical equipment;
(6) any other activity or operation involving work in any area that is potentially hazardous to the eye.
Any person desiring protective-corrective lenses instead of the protective devices supplied by the educational institution shall pay for, procure, keep, and use industrial quality eye protective devices.
"Industrial quality eye protective devices," as used in this section, shall mean devices meeting the standards of the American National Standard Institute, currently identified as Z87.1-1968.
Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes