Before placement of a child for purposes of adoption, the commissioner shall conduct a background study on individuals listed in section 259.41, subdivision 3, for county agencies and private agencies licensed to place children for adoption.
The subject of the background study shall provide the information specified in section 245C.05.
The county or private agency shall forward the data collected under subdivision 2 to the commissioner.
(a) The commissioner shall review the following information regarding the background study subject:
(1) the information under section 245C.08, subdivisions 1, 3, and 4;
(2) information from the child abuse and neglect registry for any state in which the subject has resided for the past five years; and
(3) information from national crime information databases, when required under section 245C.08.
(b) The commissioner shall provide any information collected under this subdivision to the county or private agency that initiated the background study. The commissioner shall also provide the agency:
(1) notice whether the information collected shows that the subject of the background study has a conviction listed in United States Code, title 42, section 671(a)(20)(A); and
(2) the date of all adoption-related background studies completed on the subject by the commissioner after June 30, 2007, and the name of the county or private agency that initiated the adoption-related background study.