Skip to main content Skip to office menu Skip to footer
Capital IconMinnesota Legislature

Office of the Revisor of Statutes


Subdivision 1.

[Repealed, 1977 c 392 s 14]

Subd. 2.Dispositions.

When a child has been committed to the commissioner of corrections by a juvenile court, upon a finding of delinquency, the commissioner may for the purposes of treatment and rehabilitation:

(1) order the child's confinement to the Minnesota Correctional Facility-Red Wing or the Minnesota Correctional Facility-Sauk Centre, which shall accept the child, or to a group foster home under the control of the commissioner of corrections, or to private facilities or facilities established by law or incorporated under the laws of this state that may care for delinquent children;

(2) order the child's release on parole under such supervisions and conditions as the commissioner believes conducive to law-abiding conduct, treatment and rehabilitation;

(3) order reconfinement or renewed parole as often as the commissioner believes to be desirable;

(4) revoke or modify any order, except an order of discharge, as often as the commissioner believes to be desirable;

(5) discharge the child when the commissioner is satisfied that the child has been rehabilitated and that such discharge is consistent with the protection of the public;

(6) if the commissioner finds that the child is eligible for probation or parole and it appears from the commissioner's investigation that conditions in the child's or the guardian's home are not conducive to the child's treatment, rehabilitation, or law-abiding conduct, refer the child, together with the commissioner's findings, to a local social services agency or a licensed child-placing agency for placement in a foster care or, when appropriate, for initiation of child in need of protection or services proceedings as provided in sections 260C.001 to 260C.421. The commissioner of corrections shall reimburse local social services agencies for foster care costs they incur for the child while on probation or parole to the extent that funds for this purpose are made available to the commissioner by the legislature. The juvenile court shall order the parents of a child on probation or parole to pay the costs of foster care under section 260B.331, subdivision 1, according to their ability to pay, and to the extent that the commissioner of corrections has not reimbursed the local social services agency.

Subd. 3.Retaking absconding and other person.

The written order of the commissioner of corrections is authority to any peace officer or parole or probation officer to take and detain any child committed to the commissioner of corrections by a juvenile court who absconds from field supervision or escapes from confinement, violates furlough conditions, or is released from court while on institution status. Any person of the age of 18 years or older who is taken into custody under the provisions of this subdivision may be detained as provided in section 260B.181, subdivision 4.

Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes