The commissioner shall issue special "Rotary member" plates to an applicant who:
(1) is a registered owner of a passenger automobile;
(2) pays a fee of $10 to cover the costs of handling and manufacturing the plates;
(3) pays the registration tax required under section 168.013;
(4) pays the fees required under this chapter;
(5) submits proof to the commissioner that the applicant is a member of Rotary International; and
(6) complies with this chapter and rules governing registration of motor vehicles and licensing of drivers.
A special plate under this section consists of a plate as described in section 168.1291 with a unique emblem that is the recognized emblem of Rotary International.
The commissioner shall take no action under this section unless the commissioner determines that Rotary International, or one or more districts of Rotary International, has complied with section 168.1293, subdivision 2, paragraph (a). Issuance and renewal of plates under this section are subject to section 168.1293, subdivisions 3 to 6.