62A.20 CONTINUATION COVERAGE OF CURRENT SPOUSE AND CHILDREN.
Subdivision 1. Requirement.
Every policy of accident and health insurance providing
coverage of hospital or medical expense on either an expense-incurred basis or other than an
expense-incurred basis, which in addition to covering the insured also provides coverage to the
spouse and dependent children of the insured shall contain:
(1) a provision which allows the spouse and dependent children to elect to continue coverage
when the insured becomes enrolled for benefits under Title XVIII of the Social Security Act
(2) a provision which allows the dependent children to continue coverage when they cease to
be dependent children under the generally applicable requirement of the plan.
Upon request by the insured or the insured's spouse or dependent child, a health carrier must
provide the instructions necessary to enable the spouse or child to elect continuation of coverage.
Subd. 2. Continuation privilege.
The coverage described in subdivision 1 may be continued
until the earlier of the following dates:
(1) the date coverage would otherwise terminate under the policy;
(2) 36 months after continuation by the spouse or dependent was elected; or
(3) the spouse or dependent children become covered under another group health plan.
If coverage is provided under a group policy, any required premium contributions for the
coverage shall be paid by the insured on a monthly basis to the group policyholder for remittance
to the insurer. In no event shall the amount of premium charged exceed 102 percent of the
cost to the plan for such period of coverage for other similarly situated spouse and dependent
children to whom subdivision 1 is not applicable, without regard to whether such cost is paid by
the employer or employee.
History: 1987 c 337 s 51; 2001 c 215 s 10