16A.86 CAPITAL PROJECT GRANTS TO POLITICAL SUBDIVISIONS.
Subdivision 1. Projects covered.
The capital improvement projects covered by this section
are only those not covered by another state program of assistance to political subdivisions.
Subd. 2. Budget request.
A political subdivision that requests an appropriation of state
money for a local capital improvement project is encouraged to submit the request to the
commissioner of finance by July 15 of an odd-numbered year to ensure its full consideration. The
requests must be submitted in the form and with the supporting documentation required by the
commissioner of finance. All requests timely received by the commissioner must be forwarded
to the legislature, along with agency requests, by the deadline established in section
Subd. 3. Evaluation.
(a) The commissioner shall evaluate all requests from political
subdivisions for state assistance based on the following criteria:
(1) the political subdivision has provided for local, private, and user financing for the project
to the maximum extent possible;
(2) the project helps fulfill an important state mission;
(3) the project is of regional or statewide significance;
(4) the project will not require new or any additional state operating subsidies;
(5) the project will not expand the state's role in a new policy area;
(6) state funding for the project will not create significant inequities among local jurisdictions;
(7) the project will not compete with other facilities in such a manner that they lose a
significant number of users to the new project;
(8) the governing bodies of those political subdivisions primarily benefiting from the project
have passed resolutions in support of the project and have established priorities for all projects
within their jurisdictions for which bonding appropriations are requested when submitting
multiple requests; and
(9) if a predesign that meets the requirements of section
has been completed and is
available at the time the project request is submitted to the commissioner of finance, the applicant
has submitted the project predesign to the commissioner of administration.
(b) The commissioner's evaluation of each request, including whether it meets each of
the criteria in paragraph (a), must be submitted to the legislature along with the governor's
recommendations under section
16A.11, subdivision 1
, whether or not the governor recommends
that the request be funded.
Subd. 4. Funding.
(a) The state share of a project covered by this section must be no more
than half the total cost of the project, including predesign, design, construction, furnishings, and
equipment, except as provided in paragraph (b). This subdivision does not apply to a project
proposed by a school district or other school organization.
(b) The state share may be more than half the total cost of a project if the project is deemed
needed as a result of a disaster or to prevent a disaster or is located in a political subdivision with
a very low average net tax capacity.
(c) Nothing in this section prevents the governor from recommending, or the legislature from
considering or funding, projects that do not meet the deadline in subdivision 2 or the criteria in
this subdivision or subdivision 3 when the governor or the legislature determines that there is a
compelling reason for the recommendation or funding.
History: 1999 c 192 s 1; 2002 c 393 s 35; 2006 c 258 s 28,29