144.2215 MINNESOTA BIRTH DEFECTS INFORMATION SYSTEM.
Subdivision 1. Establishment.
The commissioner of health shall establish and maintain
an information system containing data on the cause, treatment, prevention, and cure of major
birth defects. The commissioner shall consult with representatives and experts in epidemiology,
medicine, insurance, health maintenance organizations, genetics, consumers, and voluntary
organizations in developing the system and may phase in the implementation of the system.
Subd. 2. Duties of commissioner.
The commissioner of health shall design a system that
allows the commissioner to:
(1) monitor incidence trends of birth defects to detect potential public health problems,
predict risks, and assist in responding to birth defects clusters;
(2) more accurately target intervention, prevention, and services for communities, patients,
and their families;
(3) inform health professionals and citizens of the prevalence of and risks for birth defects;
(4) conduct scientific investigation and surveys of the causes, mortality, methods of
treatment, prevention, and cure for birth defects;
(5) modify, as necessary, the birth defects information system through demonstration projects;
(6) remove identifying information about a child whose parent or legal guardian has chosen
not to participate in the system as permitted by section
144.2216, subdivision 4
(7) protect the individually identifiable information as required by section
(8) limit the dissemination of identifying information as required by sections
(9) use the birth defects coding scheme defined by the Centers for Disease Control and
Prevention (CDC) of the United States Public Health Service.
History: 1996 c 451 art 4 s 6; 2004 c 288 art 6 s 11; 2004 c 290 s 25