144.2215 Minnesota birth defects information system.
Subdivision 1. Establishment. The commissioner of health shall establish and maintain an information system containing data on the cause, treatment, prevention, and cure of major birth defects. The commissioner shall consult with representatives and experts in epidemiology, medicine, insurance, health maintenance organizations, genetics, consumers, and voluntary organizations in developing the system and may phase in the implementation of the system.
Subd. 2. Duties of commissioner. The commissioner of health shall design a system that allows the commissioner to:
(1) monitor incidence trends of birth defects to detect potential public health problems, predict risks, and assist in responding to birth defects clusters;
(2) more accurately target intervention, prevention, and services for communities, patients, and their families;
(3) inform health professionals and citizens of the prevalence of and risks for birth defects;
(4) conduct scientific investigation and surveys of the causes, mortality, methods of treatment, prevention, and cure for birth defects;
(5) modify, as necessary, the birth defects information system through demonstration projects;
(6) remove identifying information about a child whose parent or legal guardian has chosen not to participate in the system as permitted by section 144.2216, subdivision 4;
(7) protect the individually identifiable information as required by section 144.2217;
(9) use the birth defects coding scheme defined by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) of the United States Public Health Service.
* NOTE: The amendments to this section by Laws 2004, chapter *288, article 6, section 11, and Laws 2004, chapter 290, section *25, are effective upon receipt of a federal grant to establish a *birth defects information system. Laws 2004, chapter 288, *article 6, section 11, the effective date, and Laws 2004, *chapter 290, section 25, the effective date.
Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes