89A.08 RESEARCH ADVISORY COMMITTEE.
Subdivision 1. Establishment.
The council shall appoint a Forest Resources Research
Advisory Committee. The committee must consist of representatives of:
(1) the College of Natural Resources, University of Minnesota;
(2) the Natural Resources Research Institute, University of Minnesota;
(3) the department;
(4) the North Central Forest Experiment Station, United States Forest Service; and
(5) other organizations as deemed appropriate by the council.
Subd. 2. Purpose.
The purpose of the advisory committee is to foster the identification and
undertaking of priority forest resources research activities by encouraging:
(1) collaboration between organizations with responsibilities for conducting forest resources
(2) linkages between researchers in different disciplines in conducting forest resources
(3) interaction and communication between researchers and practitioners in the development
and use of forest resources research.
Subd. 3. Research assessment.
The advisory committee shall periodically undertake an
assessment of strategic directions in forest resources research. The assessment must be based on
input provided by administrators, researchers, practitioners, and the general public, and include:
(1) an assessment of the current status of forestry resources research in the state;
(2) an identification of important forest resource issues in need of research;
(3) an identification of priority forest research activities whose results will enable a better
understanding of site-level and landscape-level impacts resulting from timber harvesting and
forest management activities; and
(4) an assessment of the progress toward addressing the priority forest resources research
The forest resources research assessment must be made widely available to the research
community, forest managers and users, and the public.
Subd. 4. Research delivery.
Based on the priority forest resources research activities
identified in subdivision 3, the advisory committee shall promote these research needs and the
dissemination of findings to the research community, forest managers and users, and the public.
Subd. 5. Research and practitioner linkages.
The advisory committee shall periodically
facilitate forums to increase communications between the individuals and organizations
conducting forest resources research and the users of the research.
Subd. 6. Report.
The advisory committee shall report to the council its accomplishments in
fulfilling the responsibilities identified in this section.
History: 1995 c 220 s 85,141,142; 1995 c 263 s 12; 1996 c 351 s 1; 1999 c 231 s 191;
1Sp2001 c 2 s 151; 2002 c 379 art 1 s 108