70A.02 SCOPE OF APPLICATION.
Subdivision 1. Forms of insurance to which applicable.
This chapter applies to casualty
insurance, to fidelity, surety and guaranty bonds, to fire and allied lines of insurance and to inland
marine insurance, on risks or operations in this state.
Subd. 2. Nonapplication of chapter.
This chapter shall not apply to:
(1) insurance written by township or farmers' mutual insurance companies subject to the
provisions of chapter 67A; insurance written by companies organized pursuant to section
, or to tornado, cyclone, or hurricane insurance, the consideration for which, except for
policy, membership or survey fees, is paid entirely by assessments on policyholders;
(2) reinsurance, other than joint reinsurance to the extent stated in section
(3) accident and health insurance;
(4) insurance against loss of or damage to aircraft, used in scheduled airline operations,
including their accessories and equipment, or against liability arising out of the ownership,
maintenance, or use of aircraft;
(5) insurance of vessels or craft, their cargoes, marine builders' risks, marine protection
and indemnity, or other risks commonly insured under marine, as distinguished from inland
marine, insurance policies;
(6) workers' compensation insurance;
(7) insurance covering any of the liability of an employer exempted from insuring the
employer's liability for compensation as provided in section
(8) disability and double indemnity insurance issued as part of a life insurance contract.
Subd. 3. Exemptions.
The commissioner may exempt from any or all of the provisions of
this chapter, if and to the extent that the commissioner finds their application unnecessary to
achieve the purposes of this chapter;
(1) any specified person by order, or class of persons by rule; and
(2) any specified risk by order, or any line or kind of insurance or subdivision thereof or
class of risks or combination of classes by rule.
History: 1969 c 958 s 2; 1975 c 359 s 23; 1977 c 365 s 1; 1986 c 444; 2005 c 69 art 2 s 18