518C.307 DUTIES OF SUPPORT ENFORCEMENT AGENCY.
(a) A support enforcement agency of this state, upon request, shall provide services to a
petitioner in a proceeding under this chapter.
(b) A support enforcement agency that is providing services to the petitioner as appropriate
(1) take all steps necessary to enable an appropriate tribunal in this state or another state to
obtain jurisdiction over the respondent;
(2) request an appropriate tribunal to set a date, time, and place for a hearing;
(3) make a reasonable effort to obtain all relevant information, including information as to
income and property of the parties;
(4) within two days, exclusive of Saturdays, Sundays, and legal holidays, after receipt of a
written notice from an initiating, responding, or registering tribunal, send a copy of the notice
to the petitioner;
(5) within two days, exclusive of Saturdays, Sundays, and legal holidays, after receipt of
a written communication from the respondent or the respondent's attorney, send a copy of the
communication to the petitioner; and
(6) notify the petitioner if jurisdiction over the respondent cannot be obtained.
(c) This chapter does not create or negate a relationship of attorney and client or other
fiduciary relationship between a support enforcement agency or the attorney for the agency and
the individual being assisted by the agency.
History: 1994 c 630 art 3 s 7; 1997 c 245 art 3 s 14