MN Legislature


Revisor of Statutes Menu


2006 Minnesota Statutes

This is an historical version of this statute chapter. Also view the most recent published version.

Any city having a system of waterworks or sewerage, or any town in which reside over 5,000
people exclusive of any statutory cities located therein, or the metropolitan airports commission,
may, by ordinance, adopt local regulations providing for plumbing permits, bonds, approval of
plans, and inspections of plumbing, which regulations are not in conflict with the plumbing
standards on the same subject prescribed by the state commissioner of health. No city or such
town shall prohibit plumbers licensed by the state commissioner of health from engaging in or
working at the business, except cities and statutory cities which, prior to April 21, 1933, by
ordinance required the licensing of plumbers. Any city by ordinance may prescribe regulations,
reasonable standards, and inspections and grant permits to any person, firm, or corporation
engaged in the business of installing water softeners, who is not licensed as a master plumber or
journeyman plumber by the state commissioner of health, to connect water softening and water
filtering equipment to private residence water distribution systems, where provision has been
previously made therefor and openings left for that purpose or by use of cold water connections to
a domestic water heater; where it is not necessary to rearrange, make any extension or alteration
of, or addition to any pipe, fixture or plumbing connected with the water system except to connect
the water softener, and provided the connections so made comply with minimum standards
prescribed by the state commissioner of health.
History: (5887-20) 1933 c 349 s 2; 1937 c 370 s 2; 1941 c 367 s 1; 1953 c 166 s 1; 1957 c
921 s 1; 1973 c 123 art 5 s 7; 1977 c 305 s 45; 1Sp2001 c 9 art 1 s 56; 2002 c 379 art 1 s 113

700 State Office Building, 100 Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., St. Paul, MN 55155 ♦ Phone: (651) 296-2868 ♦ TTY: 1-800-627-3529 ♦ Fax: (651) 296-0569