245.4712 COMMUNITY SUPPORT AND DAY TREATMENT SERVICES.
Subdivision 1. Availability of community support services.
County boards must provide or
contract for sufficient community support services within the county to meet the needs of adults
with serious and persistent mental illness who are residents of the county. Adults may be required
to pay a fee according to section
. The community support services program must be
designed to improve the ability of adults with serious and persistent mental illness to:
(1) work in a regular or supported work environment;
(2) handle basic activities of daily living;
(3) participate in leisure time activities;
(4) set goals and plans; and
(5) obtain and maintain appropriate living arrangements.
The community support services program must also be designed to reduce the need for
and use of more intensive, costly, or restrictive placements both in number of admissions and
length of stay.
Subd. 2. Day treatment services provided.
(a) Day treatment services must be developed as
a part of the community support services available to adults with serious and persistent mental
illness residing in the county. Adults may be required to pay a fee according to section
Day treatment services must be designed to:
(1) provide a structured environment for treatment;
(2) provide support for residing in the community;
(3) prevent placement in settings that are more intensive, costly, or restrictive than necessary
and appropriate to meet client need;
(4) coordinate with or be offered in conjunction with a local education agency's special
education program; and
(5) operate on a continuous basis throughout the year.
(b) For purposes of complying with medical assistance requirements, an adult day treatment
program may choose among the methods of clinical supervision specified in:
(1) Minnesota Rules, part 9505.0323
, subpart 1, item F;
(2) Minnesota Rules, part 9505.0324
, subpart 6, item F; or
(3) Minnesota Rules, part 9520.0800
, subparts 2 to 6.
A day treatment program may demonstrate compliance with these clinical supervision
requirements by obtaining certification from the commissioner under Minnesota Rules, parts
, or by documenting in its own records that it complies with one of
the above methods.
(c) County boards may request a waiver from including day treatment services if they can
(1) an alternative plan of care exists through the county's community support services for
clients who would otherwise need day treatment services;
(2) day treatment, if included, would be duplicative of other components of the community
support services; and
(3) county demographics and geography make the provision of day treatment services cost
ineffective and infeasible.
Subd. 3. Benefits assistance.
The county board must offer to help adults with serious and
persistent mental illness in applying for state and federal benefits, including supplemental security
income, medical assistance, Medicare, general assistance, general assistance medical care, and
Minnesota supplemental aid. The help must be offered as part of the community support program
available to adults with serious and persistent mental illness for whom the county is financially
responsible and who may qualify for these benefits.
History: 1990 c 568 art 5 s 7; 1999 c 245 art 5 s 5