168.1255 VETERANS WORLD WAR II MEMORIAL CONTRIBUTION PLATES.
Subdivision 1. General requirements and procedures.
The commissioner shall issue
special veteran contribution plates to an applicant who:
(1) is a veteran, as defined in section
(2) is a registered owner of a passenger automobile;
(3) pays a fee of $10 to cover the costs of handling and manufacturing the plates;
(4) pays the registration tax required under section
(5) pays the fees required under this chapter;
(6) pays an additional onetime World War II memorial contribution of $30, which the
department shall retain until all start-up costs associated with the development and issuing of
the plates have been recovered, after which the commissioner shall deposit contributions in the
World War II donation match account; and
(7) complies with this chapter and rules governing the registration of motor vehicles and
licensing of drivers.
Subd. 2. Design.
The commissioner of veterans affairs shall design an emblem for the
special plates, subject to the approval of the commissioner of public safety, that satisfies the
requirements in this subdivision:
(1) the special veteran contribution plates must bear the inscription "PROUD TO BE A
VETERAN" on the bottom of the plate; and
(2) the flag of the United States of America must appear on the left side of the plate just
preceding the first letter or numeral of the special plate number.
Subd. 3. Plate transfers.
168.12, subdivision 1
, on payment of a transfer
fee of $5, plates issued under this section may be transferred to another passenger automobile
registered to the individual to whom the veteran contribution plates were issued.
Subd. 4. Fees credited.
Fees collected under this section do not include the contributions
collected for the World War II memorial donation match account.
Subd. 5. Record.
The commissioner shall maintain a record of the number of special plates
issued under this section.
History: 2002 c 371 art 1 s 8; 1Sp2005 c 6 art 2 s 12