Subdivision 1. Scope. For purposes of sections 60A.98 and 60A.981, the terms defined in this section have the meanings given them.
Subd. 2. Customer. "Customer" means a consumer who has a continuing relationship with a licensee under which the licensee provides one or more insurance products or services to the consumer that are to be used primarily for personal, family, or household purposes.
Subd. 3. Customer information. "Customer information" means nonpublic personal information about a customer, whether in paper, electronic, or other form, that is maintained by or on behalf of the licensee.
Subd. 4. Customer information systems. "Customer information systems" means the electronic or physical methods used to access, collect, store, use, transmit, protect, or dispose of customer information.
Subd. 5. Licensee. "Licensee" means all licensed insurers, producers, and other persons licensed or required to be licensed, authorized or required to be authorized, or registered or required to be registered pursuant to the insurance laws of this state, except that "licensee" does not include a purchasing group or an ineligible insurer in regard to the surplus line insurance conducted pursuant to sections 60A.195 to 60A.209. "Licensee" does not include producers until January 1, 2007.
Subd. 6. Nonpublic financial information. "Nonpublic financial information" means:
(1) personally identifiable financial information; and
(2) any list, description, or other grouping of consumers, and publicly available information pertaining to them, that is derived using any personally identifiable financial information that is not publicly available.
Subd. 7. Nonpublic personal health information. "Nonpublic personal health information" means health information:
(1) that identifies an individual who is the subject of the information; or
(2) with respect to which there is a reasonable basis to believe that the information could be used to identify an individual.
Subd. 8. Nonpublic personal information. "Nonpublic personal information" means nonpublic financial information and nonpublic personal health information.
Subd. 9. Personally identifiable financial information. "Personally identifiable financial information" means any information:
(1) a consumer provides to a licensee to obtain an insurance product or service from the licensee;
(2) about a consumer resulting from a transaction involving an insurance product or service between a licensee and a consumer; or
(3) the licensee otherwise obtains about a consumer in connection with providing an insurance product or service to that consumer.
Subd. 10. Service provider. "Service provider" means a person that maintains, processes, or otherwise is permitted access to customer information through its provision of services directly to the licensee.
HIST: 2005 c 132 s 6
Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes