239.77 Biodiesel content mandate.
Subdivision 1. Biodiesel fuel. "Biodiesel fuel" means a renewable, biodegradable, mono alkyl ester combustible liquid fuel derived from agricultural plant oils or animal fats and that meets American Society For Testing and Materials Specification D6751-02 for Biodiesel Fuel (B100) Blend Stock for Distillate Fuels.
Subd. 2. Minimum content; effective date. (a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, all diesel fuel sold or offered for sale in Minnesota for use in internal combustion engines must contain at least 2.0 percent biodiesel fuel oil by volume.
(b) The mandate in paragraph (a) is effective on and after the date that the conditions in clauses (1) and (2), or in clauses (1) and (3), have been met:
(1) thirty or more days have passed since the commissioner of agriculture publishes notice in the State Register that annual capacity in Minnesota for the production of biodiesel fuel oil exceeds 8,000,000 gallons;
(2) eighteen months have passed since the commissioner of agriculture publishes notice in the State Register that a federal action on taxes imposed, tax credits, or otherwise, creates a reduction in the price of two cents or more per gallon on taxable fuel that contains at least two percent biodiesel fuel oil and is sold in this state;
(3) the date June 30, 2005, has passed.
Subd. 3. Exceptions. (a) The minimum content requirement of subdivision 2 does not apply to fuel used in the following equipment:
(1) motors located at an electric generating plant regulated by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission;
(2) railroad locomotives; and
(3) off-road taconite and copper mining equipment and machinery.
(b) The exemption in paragraph (a), clause (1), expires 30 days after the Nuclear Regulatory Commission has approved the use of biodiesel fuel in motors at electric generating plants under its regulation.
Subd. 4. Disclosure. A refinery or terminal shall provide, at the time diesel fuel is sold or transferred from the refinery or terminal, a bill of lading or shipping manifest to the person who receives the fuel. For biodiesel-blended products, the bill of lading or shipping manifest must disclose biodiesel content, stating volume percentage, gallons of biodiesel per gallons of petroleum diesel base-stock, or an ASTM "Bxx" designation where "xx" denotes the volume percent biodiesel included in the blended product. This subdivision does not apply to sales or transfers of biodiesel blend stock between refineries, between terminals, or between a refinery and a terminal.
Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes