168A.03 Exempt vehicles.
Subdivision 1. No certificate issued. The registrar shall not issue a certificate of title for:
(1) a vehicle owned by the United States;
(2) a vehicle owned by a nonresident and not required by law to be registered in this state;
(3) a vehicle owned by a nonresident and regularly engaged in the interstate transportation of persons or property for which a currently effective certificate of title has been issued in another state;
(4) a vehicle moved solely by animal power;
(5) an implement of husbandry;
(6) special mobile equipment;
(7) a self-propelled wheelchair or invalid tricycle;
(8) a trailer (i) having a gross weight of 4,000 pounds or less unless a secured party holds an interest in the trailer or a certificate of title was previously issued by this state or any other state or (ii) designed primarily for agricultural purposes except recreational equipment or a manufactured home, both as defined in section 168.011, subdivisions 8 and 25;
(9) a snowmobile.
Subd. 2. Dealers. No certificate of title need be obtained for a vehicle owned by a manufacturer or dealer and held for sale, even though incidentally moved on the highway or used pursuant to section 168.27 or 168.28, or a vehicle used by a manufacturer solely for testing.