164.06 Powers regarding town roads.
Subdivision 1. Authorization. A town board, when authorized by a vote of the electors at the annual meeting, or at a special meeting called for that purpose, may establish, alter, or vacate a town road, including those dedicated to the public by plat, in accordance with section 164.07, subdivisions 2 to 12, and may acquire the right-of-way as may be necessary for the road by gift, purchase or as provided in section 164.07.
Subd. 2. Extinguishing interest in abandoned road. (a) After providing notice under section 366.01, subdivision 8, the town board may by resolution disclaim and extinguish a town interest in a town road without action under subdivision 1 if:
(1) the extinguishment is found by the town board to be in the public interest;
(2) the interest is not a fee interest;
(3) the interest was established more than 25 years earlier;
(4) the interest is not recorded or filed with the county recorder;
(5) no road improvement has been constructed on a right-of-way affected by the interest within the last 25 years; and
(6) no road maintenance on a right-of-way affected by the interest has occurred within the last 25 years.
(b) The resolution shall be filed and recorded with the county auditor and recorder.