A town board, when authorized by a vote of the electors at the annual meeting, or at a special meeting called for that purpose, may establish, alter, or vacate a town road, including those dedicated to the public by plat, in accordance with section 164.07, subdivisions 2 to 12, and may acquire the right-of-way as may be necessary for the road by gift, purchase or as provided in section 164.07.
(a) After providing notice as required in paragraph (c), the town board may by resolution disclaim and extinguish a town interest in a town road without action under subdivision 1 if:
(1) the extinguishment is found by the town board to be in the public interest;
(2) the interest is not a fee interest;
(3) the interest was established more than 25 years earlier;
(4) the interest is not recorded or filed with the county recorder;
(5) no road improvement has been constructed on a right-of-way affected by the interest within the last 25 years; and
(6) no road maintenance on a right-of-way affected by the interest has occurred within the last 25 years.
(b) The resolution shall be filed with the county auditor and recorded with the county recorder.
(c) Not less than 30 days before the first meeting at which a resolution to disclaim and extinguish a town interest in a town road under this subdivision is discussed, the town board shall provide notice of the meeting by certified mail to each property owner abutting the road to be extinguished. A notice must also be posted as provided under section 366.01, subdivision 8.
Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes