Subd. 2. Office. "Office" means the Minnesota Higher Education Services Office.
Subd. 3. Director. "Director" means the director of the Minnesota Higher Education Services Office.
Subd. 4. Eligible institution. "Eligible institution" means a postsecondary educational institution located in this state or in a state with which the office has entered into a higher education reciprocity agreement on state student aid programs that either (1) is operated by this state, or (2) is operated publicly or privately and, as determined by the office, maintains academic standards substantially equivalent to those of comparable institutions operated in this state.
Subd. 5. Financial need. "Financial need" means the demonstrated need of the applicant for financial assistance to meet the recognized costs of attending the eligible institution of choice as determined from financial information on the applicant and, if required, on the applicant's parents, by the federal need analysis.
Subd. 5a. Assigned family responsibility. "Assigned family responsibility" means the amount of a family contribution to a student's cost of attendance, as determined by a federal need analysis. For dependent students, the assigned family responsibility is the parental contribution. For independent students with dependents other than a spouse, the assigned family responsibility is the student contribution. For independent students without dependents other than a spouse, the assigned family responsibility is 72 percent of the student contribution. The assigned family responsibility for all other independent students is 90 percent of the student contribution.
Subd. 6. Repealed, 1989 c 293 s 85
Subd. 7. Student. "Student" means a person who is enrolled for at least three credits per quarter or semester, or the equivalent, in a program or course of study that applies to a degree, diploma, or certificate. Credit equivalencies assigned by an institution that are applicable to federal Pell grant calculations shall be counted as part of a student's credit load.
Subd. 7a. Full time. "Full time" means enrollment in a minimum of 15 credits per quarter or semester, or the equivalent.
Subd. 7b. Half time. "Half time" means enrollment in a minimum of six credits per quarter or semester, or the equivalent.
Subd. 8. Resident student. "Resident student" means a student who meets one of the following conditions:
(1) a student who has resided in Minnesota for purposes other than postsecondary education for at least 12 months without being enrolled at a postsecondary educational institution for more than five credits in any term;
(2) a dependent student whose parent or legal guardian resides in Minnesota at the time the student applies;
(3) a student who graduated from a Minnesota high school, if the student was a resident of Minnesota during the student's period of attendance at the Minnesota high school; or
(4) a student who, after residing in the state for a minimum of one year, earned a high school equivalency certificate in Minnesota.
Subd. 9. Independent student. "Independent student" has the meaning given it in the Higher Education Act of 1965, United States Code, title 20, section 1070a-6, and applicable regulations.
Subd. 10. Satisfactory academic progress. "Satisfactory academic progress" means that:
(1) by the end of a student's second academic year of attendance at an institution, the student has at least a cumulative grade point average of C or its equivalent, or academic standing consistent with the institution's graduation requirements; and
(2) by the end of the first term of the third and fourth academic year of attendance, the student has a cumulative grade point average of at least a C or its equivalent.
HIST: 1971 c 862 s 2; 1975 c 271 s 6; 1975 c 390 s 4; 1Sp1985 c 11 s 29; 1987 c 401 s 15; 1989 c 293 s 24-26; 1991 c 356 art 8 s 1-5; 1992 c 513 art 1 s 12; 1Sp1993 c 2 art 2 s 7,8; 1995 c 186 s 119; 1995 c 212 art 3 s 17-21,59; 1996 c 398 s 30; 1997 c 183 art 2 s 3; 1998 c 384 s 7; 1Sp2001 c 1 art 2 s 8,9; 2003 c 133 art 2 s 8