97B.031 Use and possession of firearms.
Subdivision 1. Firearms and ammunition that may be used to take big game. (a) A person may take big game with a firearm only if:
(1) the rifle, shotgun, and handgun used is a caliber of at least .23 inches;
(2) the firearm is loaded only with single projectile ammunition;
(3) a projectile used is a caliber of at least .23 inches and has a soft point or is an expanding bullet type;
(4) the ammunition has a case length of at least 1.285 inches;
(5) the muzzle-loader used is incapable of being loaded at the breech;
(6) the smooth-bore muzzle-loader used is a caliber of at least .45 inches; and
(7) the rifled muzzle-loader used is a caliber of at least .40 inches.
(b) A person may not take big game with a .30 caliber M-1 carbine cartridge.
(c) Notwithstanding paragraph (a), clause (4), a person may take big game with a ten millimeter cartridge that is at least 0.95 inches in length, a .45 Winchester Magnum cartridge, or a .50 A. E. (Action Express) handgun cartridge.
Subd. 2. Handguns for small game. A person may take small game with a handgun of any caliber in a manner prescribed by the commissioner.
Subd. 3. Firearms larger than ten gauge prohibited. A person may not use a firearm with a bore larger than a ten gauge to take a protected wild animal.
Subd. 4. Silencers prohibited. A person may not own or possess a silencer for a firearm or a firearm equipped to have a silencer attached.