299A.01 Department of public safety; creation, organization.
Subdivision 1. Creation; commissioner and deputy commissioner. The department of public safety is created under the supervision and control of the commissioner of public safety, which office is established. The commissioner of public safety is appointed by the governor under the provisions of section 15.06. The commissioner may appoint a deputy commissioner.
Subd. 1a. Mission; efficiency. It is part of the department's mission that within the department's resources the commissioner shall endeavor to:
(1) prevent the waste or unnecessary spending of public money;
(2) use innovative fiscal and human resource practices to manage the state's resources and operate the department as efficiently as possible;
(3) coordinate the department's activities wherever appropriate with the activities of other governmental agencies;
(4) use technology where appropriate to increase agency productivity, improve customer service, increase public access to information about government, and increase public participation in the business of government;
(5) utilize constructive and cooperative labor-management practices to the extent otherwise required by chapters 43A and 179A;
(6) report to the legislature on the performance of agency operations and the accomplishment of agency goals in the agency's biennial budget according to section 16A.10, subdivision 1; and
(7) recommend to the legislature appropriate changes in law necessary to carry out the mission and improve the performance of the department.
Subd. 1b. Department advertising sales; appropriation. The commissioner may accept paid advertising for departmental publications, media productions, or other informational materials. Advertising revenues received are appropriated to the commissioner to be used to defray costs of publications, media productions, or other informational materials. The commissioner may not accept paid advertising from an elected official or candidate for elective office.
Subd. 2. Duties of commissioner. The duties of the commissioner shall include the following:
(1) the coordination, development and maintenance of services contracts with existing state departments and agencies assuring the efficient and economic use of advanced business machinery including computers;
(2) the execution of contracts and agreements with existing state departments for the maintenance and servicing of vehicles and communications equipment, and the use of related buildings and grounds;
(3) the development of integrated fiscal services for all divisions, and the preparation of an integrated budget for the department;
(4) the publication and award of grant contracts with state agencies, local units of government, and other entities for programs that will benefit the safety of the public; and
(5) the establishment of a planning bureau within the department.
Subd. 3. Delegation; classified employees. (a) No delegation or assignment of a power or duty by the commissioner to an employee of the department shall be made in respect to, or in a manner resulting in a reenactment of, the powers, duties or responsibilities contained in section 299C.03, and acts amendatory thereof, except to the division of the bureau of criminal apprehension.
(b) Employees of the department of public safety are in the classified civil service except where otherwise specifically provided for by law.
Subd. 4. Repealed, 1976 c 5 s 12
Subd. 5. Renumbered section 16B.875
Subd. 6. Repealed, 1997 c 239 art 8 s 36
Subd. 7. Rules remain in effect. Notwithstanding sections 14.05, subdivision 1, and 645.36 or other law to the contrary, the rules adopted under the authority of Minnesota Statutes 1996, section 299A.01, subdivision 6, paragraph (a), remain in effect on and after July 1, 1997, until further amended or repealed.
HIST: 1969 c 1129 art 1 s 1; 1976 c 5 s 1; 1977 c 305 s 35,36; 1981 c 356 s 248; 1982 c 424 s 130; 1983 c 289 s 115 subd 1; 1985 c 248 s 70; 1Sp1985 c 10 s 87; 1987 c 312 art 1 s 26 subd 2; 1993 c 163 art 1 s 29; 1995 c 248 art 11 s 21; 1998 c 366 s 68; 1999 c 238 art 2 s 69; 2000 c 445 art 1 s 1,2; 1Sp2001 c 8 art 2 s 65
Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes