126C.48 Levy procedure.
Subdivision 1. Certify levy limits. (a) By September 8, the commissioner shall notify the school districts of their levy limits. The commissioner shall certify to the county auditors the levy limits for all districts headquartered in the respective counties together with adjustments for errors in levies not penalized pursuant to subdivision 3, as well as adjustments to final pupil unit counts. A district may require the commissioner to review the certification and to present evidence in support of modification of the certification.
The county auditor shall reduce levies for any excess of levies over levy limitations pursuant to section 275.16. Such reduction in excess levies may, at the discretion of the school district, be spread over two calendar years.
(b) As part of the commissioner's certification under paragraph (a), the commissioner shall certify the amount by which a district's levy for its general fund was reduced under subdivision 8.
Subd. 2. Notice to commissioner; forms. By October 7 of each year each district must notify the commissioner of the proposed levies in compliance with the levy limitations of this chapter and chapters 120B, 122A, 123A, 123B, 124B, 124D, 125A, 127A, and 136D. By January 15 of each year each district must notify the commissioner of the final levies certified. The commissioner shall prescribe the form of these notifications and may request any additional information necessary to compute certified levy amounts.
Subd. 3. Adjustments. If any district levy is found to be excessive as a result of a decision of the tax court or a redetermination by the commissioner of revenue under section 127A.48, subdivisions 7 to 16, or for any other reason, the amount of the excess shall be deducted from the levy certified in the next year for the same purpose. If no levy is certified in the next year for the same purpose or if the amount certified is less than the amount of the excess, the excess must be deducted from that levy and the levy certified pursuant to section 126C.13, subdivision 2. If the amount of any aid would have been increased in a prior year as a result of a decision of the tax court or a redetermination by the commissioner of revenue, the amount of the increase shall be added to the amount of current aid for the same purposes.
Subd. 4. Applicability. Notwithstanding any other charter provision, general or special laws to the contrary, every school district in the state shall abide by the terms and provisions of this section and chapters 120B, 122A, 123A, 123B, 124D, 125A, 126C, and 127A.
Subd. 5. Estimates. The computation of levy limitations pursuant to this chapter and chapters 120B, 122A, 123A, 123B, 124B, 124D, 125A, 127A, 136C, and 136D shall be based on estimates where necessary. If as a result of using estimates for these computations the amount of any levy is different from the amount which could actually have been levied if actual data had been available, levy limitations in the first year when the actual data is known shall be adjusted to reflect for this difference. The amount of any adjustment to levy limitations pursuant to this subdivision shall be recognized as revenue in the school year when the levy for which the levy limitation is so adjusted is recognized as revenue.
Subd. 6. Adjustments for law changes. Whenever a change enacted in law changes the levy authority for a school district or an intermediate school district for a fiscal year after the levy for that fiscal year has been certified by the district under section 275.07, the department must adjust the next levy certified by the district by the amount of the change in levy authority for that fiscal year resulting from the change. Notwithstanding section 123B.75, the entire amount of the levy adjustment must be recognized as revenue in the fiscal year the levy is certified, if sufficient levy resources are available under generally accepted accounting principles in the district fund where the adjustment is to occur. Districts that do not have sufficient levy resources available in the fund where the adjustment is to occur must recognize in the fiscal year the levy is certified an amount equal to the levy resources available. The remaining adjustment amount must be recognized as revenue in the fiscal year after the levy is certified.
Subd. 7. Reporting. For each tax settlement, the county auditor shall report to each school district by fund, the district tax settlement revenue defined in section 123B.75, subdivision 5, paragraph (a), and the amount levied pursuant to section 126C.42, subdivision 1, on the form specified in section 276.10. The county auditor shall send to the district a copy of the spread levy report specified in section 275.124.
Subd. 8. Taconite payment and other reductions. (1) Reductions in levies pursuant to sections 126C.48, subdivision 1, and 273.138, must be made prior to the reductions in clause (2).
(2) Notwithstanding any other law to the contrary, districts which received payments pursuant to sections 298.018; 298.23 to 298.28, except an amount distributed under section 298.28, subdivision 4, paragraph (c), clause (ii); 298.34 to 298.39; 298.391 to 298.396; 298.405; and any law imposing a tax upon severed mineral values, or recognized revenue pursuant to section 477A.15; must not include a portion of these aids in their permissible levies pursuant to those sections, but instead must reduce the permissible levies authorized by this chapter and chapters 120B, 122A, 123A, 123B, 124A, 124D, 125A, and 127A by the greater of the following:
(a) an amount equal to 50 percent of the total dollar amount of the payments received pursuant to those sections or revenue recognized pursuant to section 477A.15 in the previous fiscal year; or
(b) an amount equal to the total dollar amount of the payments received pursuant to those sections or revenue recognized pursuant to section 477A.15 in the previous fiscal year less the product of the same dollar amount of payments or revenue times five percent.
(3) No reduction pursuant to this subdivision shall reduce the levy made by the district pursuant to section 126C.13, to an amount less than the amount raised by a levy of a net tax rate of 6.82 percent times the adjusted net tax capacity for taxes payable in 1990 and thereafter of that district for the preceding year as determined by the commissioner. The amount of any increased levy authorized by referendum pursuant to section 126C.17, subdivision 9, shall not be reduced pursuant to this subdivision. The amount of any levy authorized by section 126C.43, to make payments for bonds issued and for interest thereon, shall not be reduced pursuant to this subdivision.
(4) Before computing the reduction pursuant to this subdivision of the health and safety levy authorized by sections 123B.57 and 126C.40, subdivision 5, the commissioner shall ascertain from each affected school district the amount it proposes to levy under each section or subdivision. The reduction shall be computed on the basis of the amount so ascertained.
(5) Notwithstanding any law to the contrary, any amounts received by districts in any fiscal year pursuant to sections 298.018; 298.23 to 298.28; 298.34 to 298.39; 298.391 to 298.396; 298.405; or any law imposing a tax on severed mineral values; and not deducted from general education aid pursuant to section 126C.21, subdivision 4, clause (2), and not applied to reduce levies pursuant to this subdivision shall be paid by the district to the St. Louis county auditor in the following amount by March 15 of each year, the amount required to be subtracted from the previous fiscal year's general education aid pursuant to section 126C.21, subdivision 4, which is in excess of the general education aid earned for that fiscal year. The county auditor shall deposit any amounts received pursuant to this clause in the St. Louis county treasury for purposes of paying the taconite homestead credit as provided in section 273.135.
HIST: Ex1971 c 31 art 20 s 8; 1973 c 683 s 19; 1975 c 432 s 75,78,80,81; 1976 c 2 s 97; 1976 c 271 s 87,90; 1977 c 447 art 1 s 20; 1978 c 764 s 106,109,111; 1979 c 334 art 1 s 22,24; art 2 s 13; 1980 c 509 s 112; 1980 c 607 art 7 s 9; 1980 c 609 art 1 s 13; art 4 s 16; 1981 c 358 art 1 s 39,42; 1986 c 441 s 1; 1986 c 444; 1Sp1986 c 1 art 4 s 27; 1Sp1986 c 3 art 2 s 36; 1987 c 268 art 7 s 41,43; art 9 s 8; 1987 c 398 art 7 s 39; 1Sp1987 c 4 art 1 s 5; 1988 c 486 s 87,89; 1988 c 719 art 5 s 84; 1989 c 222 s 35; 1989 c 329 art 13 s 13,20; 1Sp1989 c 1 art 2 s 11; art 6 s 10,11; 1990 c 604 art 3 s 29; 1991 c 130 s 31,32; 1992 c 499 art 12 s 25,29; 1992 c 511 art 3 s 8; 1995 c 212 art 4 s 64; 1995 c 264 art 3 s 1,2; 1Sp1995 c 3 art 1 s 18,19; art 16 s 13; 1996 c 412 art 1 s 12; 1997 c 7 art 1 s 64; 1997 c 251 s 18; 1Sp1997 c 4 art 1 s 32; 1998 c 389 art 10 s 1; 1998 c 397 art 7 s 117-122,164; art 11 s 3
* NOTE: The amendment to subdivision 8 by Laws 1998, chapter *389, article 10, section 1, is effective for taxes levied in *2000. Laws 1998, chapter 389, article 10, section 24.
Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes