275.70 Levy limitations; definitions.
Subdivision 1. Application. For the purposes of sections 275.70 to 275.74, the following terms shall have the meanings given them, unless provided otherwise.
Subd. 2. Implicit price deflator. "Implicit price deflator" means the implicit price deflator for government consumption expenditures and gross investment for state and local governments prepared by the bureau of economic analysis of the United States Department of Commerce for the 12-month period ending March 31 of the levy year.
Subd. 3. Local governmental unit. "Local governmental unit" means a county, or a statutory or home rule charter city with a population greater than 2,500.
Subd. 4. Population; number of households. "Population" or "number of households" means the population or number of households for the local governmental unit as established by the last federal census, by a census taken under section 275.14, or by an estimate made by the metropolitan council or by the state demographer under section 4A.02, whichever is most recent as to the stated date of the count or estimate up to and including July 1 of the current levy year.
Subd. 5. Special levies. "Special levies" means those portions of ad valorem taxes levied by a local governmental unit for the following purposes or in the following manner:
(1) to pay the costs of the principal and interest on bonded indebtedness or to reimburse for the amount of liquor store revenues used to pay the principal and interest due on municipal liquor store bonds in the year preceding the year for which the levy limit is calculated;
(2) to pay the costs of principal and interest on certificates of indebtedness issued for any corporate purpose except for the following:
(i) tax anticipation or aid anticipation certificates of indebtedness;
(iii) certificates of indebtedness used to fund current expenses or to pay the costs of extraordinary expenditures that result from a public emergency; or
(iv) certificates of indebtedness used to fund an insufficiency in tax receipts or an insufficiency in other revenue sources;
(3) to provide for the bonded indebtedness portion of payments made to another political subdivision of the state of Minnesota;
(4) to fund payments made to the Minnesota state armory building commission under section 193.145, subdivision 2, to retire the principal and interest on armory construction bonds;
(5) for unreimbursed expenses related to flooding that occurred during the first half of calendar year 1997, as allowed by the commissioner of revenue under section 275.74, paragraph (b);
(6) for local units of government located in an area designated by the Federal Emergency Management Agency pursuant to a major disaster declaration issued for Minnesota by President Clinton after April 1, 1997, and before June 11, 1997, for the amount of tax dollars lost due to abatements authorized under section 273.123, subdivision 7, and Laws 1997, chapter 231, article 2, section 64, to the extent that they are related to the major disaster and to the extent that neither the state or federal government reimburses the local government for the amount lost;
(7) property taxes approved by voters which are levied against the referendum market value as provided under section 275.61;
(8) to fund matching requirements needed to qualify for federal or state grants or programs to the extent that either (i) the matching requirement exceeds the matching requirement in calendar year 1997, or (ii) it is a new matching requirement that didn't exist prior to 1998; and
(9) to pay the expenses reasonably and necessarily incurred in preparing for or repairing the effects of natural disaster including the occurrence or threat of widespread or severe damage, injury, or loss of life or property resulting from natural causes, in accordance with standards formulated by the emergency services division of the state department of public safety, as allowed by the commissioner of revenue under section 275.74, paragraph (b).
* NOTE: This section, as added by Laws 1997, chapter 231, *article 3, section 3, is effective for taxes levied in 1997 and *1998, payable in 1998 and 1999. Laws 1997, chapter 231, article *3, section 9.