256J.28 Provisions related specifically to food stamp assistance.
Subdivision 1. Expedited issuance of food stamp assistance. The following households are entitled to expedited issuance of food stamp assistance:
(1) households with less than $150 in monthly gross income provided their liquid assets do not exceed $100;
(2) migrant or seasonal farm worker households who are destitute as defined in Code of Federal Regulations, title 7, subtitle B, chapter 2, subchapter C, part 273, section 273.10, paragraph (e)(3), provided their liquid assets do not exceed $100; and
(3) eligible households whose combined monthly gross income and liquid resources are less than the household's monthly rent or mortgage and utilities.
The benefits issued through expedited issuance of food stamp assistance must be deducted from the amount of the full monthly MFIP-S assistance payment and a supplemental payment for the difference must be issued.
Subd. 2. Food stamps for household members not in the assistance unit. (a) For household members who purchase and prepare food with the MFIP-S assistance unit but are not part of the assistance unit, the county agency must determine a separate food stamp benefit based on regulations agreed upon with the United States Department of Agriculture.
(b) This subdivision does not apply to optional members who have chosen not to be in the assistance unit.
(c) Fair hearing requirements for persons who receive food stamps under this subdivision are governed by section 256.045, and Code of Federal Regulations, title 7, subtitle B, chapter II, part 273, section 273.15.
Subd. 3. Income disregard for certain programs, food assistance portion of assistance payment. The portion of the MFIP-S assistance payment that is designated by the commissioner as the food assistance portion of the assistance payment must be disregarded as income in the following programs:
(1) housing subsidy programs;
(2) low-income home energy assistance program;
(3) Supplemental Security Income, when determining interim assistance amount; and
(4) other programs that do not count food stamps as income.
For the purposes of this subdivision, the food assistance portion of the assistance payment means a predetermined portion of the MFIP-S assistance payment that may be received in point-of-purchase sites or as food stamps. The predetermined portion of the assistance payment will vary by family profile, which is based on family size.
Subd. 4. Food portion of MFIP-S assistance grant. (a) The MFIP-S assistance grant must be reduced in an amount equal to the food portion of the transitional standard for an assistance unit when a relative caregiver chooses not to be part of the assistance unit and is exempt from work activities under this chapter.
(b) The food portion of the MFIP-S grant must be reduced by $30 for MFIP-S recipients who are also recipients of public housing subsidies.
HIST: 1997 c 85 art 1 s 17
Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes