IRC Section R406.1 is amended to read as follows:
R406.1 Concrete and masonry foundation dampproofing. Except where required by Section R406.2 to be waterproofed, foundation walls that retain earth and enclose interior spaces and floors below grade shall be dampproofed at a minimum from the top of the footing to the finished grade. Masonry walls shall be parged with not less than 3/8-inch (9.5 mm) portland cement parging applied to the exterior of the wall. The parging shall be dampproofed in accordance with one of the following:
1. Bituminous coating.
2. 3 pounds per square yard (1.63 kg/m2) of acrylic modified cement.
3. 1/8-inch (3.2 mm) coat of surface-bonding cement complying with ASTM C 887.
4. Any material permitted for waterproofing in Section R406.2.
5. Other approved methods or materials.
Exception: Parging of unit masonry walls is not required where a material is approved for direct application to the masonry.
Concrete walls shall be dampproofed by applying any one of the above listed dampproofing materials or any one of the waterproofing materials listed in Section R406.2 to the exterior of the wall.
IRC Section R406.2 is amended to read as follows:
R406.2 Concrete and masonry foundation waterproofing.
In all soils groups other than Group 1 soils in accordance with Table R405.1, exterior foundation walls that retain earth and enclose interior spaces and floors below grade shall be waterproofed at a minimum from the top of the footing to the finished grade. Walls shall be waterproofed in accordance with one of the following:
1. 2-ply hot-mopped felts.
2. 55 pound (25 kg) roll roofing.
3. 6 mil (0.15 mm) polyvinyl chloride.
4. 6 mil (0.15 mm) polyethylene.
5. 40-mil (1 mm) polymer-modified asphalt.
6. 60-mil (1.5 mm) flexible polymer cement.
7. 1/8-inch cement based, fiber reinforced, waterproof coating.
8. 60-mil (1.5 mm) solvent free liquid applied synthetic rubber.
Exception: Organic solvent-based products such as hydrocarbons, chlorinated hydrocarbons, ketones, and esters shall not be used for ICF walls with expanded polystyrene form material. Plastic roofing cements, acrylic coatings, latex coatings, mortars, and pargings are permitted to be used to seal ICF walls. Cold-setting asphalt or hot asphalt shall conform to Type C of ASTM D 449. Hot asphalt shall be applied at a temperature of less than 200 degrees.
All joints in membrane waterproofing shall be lapped and sealed with an adhesive compatible with the membrane.
32 SR 12; L 2007 c 140 art 4 s 61; art 13 s 4
February 23, 2009
Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes