Section 311.3.2 is amended to read as follows:
R311.3.2 Floor elevations for other exterior doors. Doors other than the required egress door shall be provided with landings or floors not more than 7-3/4 inches (196 mm) below the top of the threshold.
Exception: A landing is not required if a stairway less than 30 inches (762 mm) in height is located on the exterior side of the door, provided the door does not swing over the stairway. The stairway height shall be measured vertically from the interior floor surface to the finished grade.
Section R311.7.1 is deleted and replaced with the following:
R311.7.1 Stairways; general.
R3126.96.36.199 Stairways serving dwellings or accessory structures. All stairways serving a dwelling or accessory structure, or any part thereof, shall comply with this section. This shall include exterior stairs from a dwelling or garage to grade and those stairs serving decks, porches, balconies, sun rooms, and similar structures.
1. Stairs serving attics or crawl spaces.
2. Stairs that only provide access to plumbing, mechanical, or electrical equipment.
R3188.8.131.52 Width. Stairways shall not be less than 36 inches (914 mm) in clear width at all points above the permitted handrail height and below the required headroom height. Handrails shall not project more than 4.5 inches (114 mm) on either side of the stairway and the minimum clear width of the stairway at and below the handrail height, including treads and landings, shall not be less than 31-1/2 inches (787 mm) where a handrail is installed on one side and 27 inches (698 mm) where handrails are provided on both sides.
Exception: The width of spiral stairways shall be in accordance with Section R3184.108.40.206.
Section R311.7.2 is amended to read as follows:
R311.7.2 Headroom. The minimum headroom in all parts of the stairway shall not be less than 6 feet 8 inches (2032 mm) measured vertically from the sloped line adjoining the tread nosing or from the floor surface of the landing or platform on that portion of the stairway.
1. Where the nosings of treads at the side of a flight extend under the edge of a floor opening through which the stair passes, the floor opening shall be allowed to project horizontally into the required headroom a maximum of 4-3/4 inches (121 mm).
2. The minimum headroom for existing buildings shall be in accordance with Section R305.2.2.
3. The headroom for spiral stairways shall be in accordance with Section R3220.127.116.11.
32 SR 12; 33 SR 807; L 2007 c 140 art 4 s 61; art 13 s 4; 39 SR 91; 39 SR 1003; 41 SR 762; 44 SR 764
March 31, 2020