language to be deleted (2) new language
relating to commerce; regulating closing agents; exempting a licensed attorney and a direct employee of a licensed attorney from the licensing requirements for closing agents;
amending Minnesota Statutes 2010, section 82.641, subdivision 6; Minnesota Statutes 2011 Supplement, section 82.641, subdivision 1.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MINNESOTA:
a person shall not act as a real estate closing agent unless licensed as provided in this section. The commissioner shall issue a license as a closing agent to a person who qualifies for the license under the terms of this chapter.
(1) a direct employee of a title insurance company authorized to do business in this state, or a direct employee of a title company, or a person who has an agency agreement with a title insurance company or a title company in which the agent agrees to perform closing services on the title insurance company's or title company's behalf and the title insurance company or title company assumes responsibility for the actions of the agent as if the agent were a direct employee of the title insurance company or title company;
(2) a licensed attorney or a direct employee of a licensed attorney;
(3) a licensed real estate broker or salesperson;
(4) a direct employee of a licensed real estate broker if the broker maintains all funds received in connection with the closing services in the broker's trust account;
(5) a bank, trust company, savings association, credit union, industrial loan and thrift company, regulated lender under chapter 56, public utility, or land mortgage or farm loan association organized under the laws of this state or the United States, when engaged in the transaction of businesses within the scope of its corporate powers as provided by law;
(6) a title insurance company authorized to do business in this state; and
(7) a title company that has a contractual agency relationship with a title insurance company authorized to do business in this state, where the title insurance company assumes responsibility for the actions of the title company and its employees or agents as if they were employees or agents of the title insurance company.
Presented to the governor April 27, 2012
Signed by the governor May 1, 2012, 1:49 p.m.
Copyright © 2012 by the Revisor of Statutes, State of Minnesota. All rights reserved.