(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b), a person is guilty of criminal vehicular homicide and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than ten years or to payment of a fine of not more than $20,000, or both, if the person causes the death of a human being not constituting murder or manslaughter as a result of operating a motor vehicle:
(1) in a grossly negligent manner;
(2) in a negligent manner while under the influence of:
(ii) a controlled substance; or
(iii) any combination of those elements;
(3) while having an alcohol concentration of 0.08 or more;
(4) while having an alcohol concentration of 0.08 or more, as measured within two hours of the time of driving;
(5) in a negligent manner while under the influence of an intoxicating substance and the person knows or has reason to know that the substance has the capacity to cause impairment;
(6) in a negligent manner while any amount of a controlled substance listed in Schedule I or II, or its metabolite, other than marijuana or tetrahydrocannabinols, is present in the person's body;
(7) where the driver who causes the collision leaves the scene of the collision in violation of section 169.09, subdivision 1 or 6; or
(8) where the driver had actual knowledge that a peace officer had previously issued a citation or warning that the motor vehicle was defectively maintained, the driver had actual knowledge that remedial action was not taken, the driver had reason to know that the defect created a present danger to others, and the death was caused by the defective maintenance.
(b) If a person is sentenced under paragraph (a) for a violation under paragraph (a), clauses (2) to (6), occurring within ten years of a qualified prior driving offense, the statutory maximum sentence of imprisonment is 15 years.
1963 c 753 art 1 s 609.21; 1983 c 12 s 1; 1984 c 622 s 24; 1984 c 628 art 3 s 4,11; 1989 c 290 art 6 s 6; art 10 s 7; 1990 c 602 art 4 s 1; 1996 c 408 art 3 s 14; 1996 c 442 s 33; 2004 c 283 s 13; 2007 c 54 art 3 s 7,8,10; 2014 c 180 s 4,9; 2014 c 186 s 2; 2016 c 109 s 2; 2018 c 195 art 3 s 19
Copyright © 2018 by the Revisor of Statutes, State of Minnesota. All rights reserved.