The secretary of state shall prepare, compile, edit, and distribute for use at each regular legislative session, a convenient manual, properly indexed, and containing: The federal and state constitutions; the acts of Congress relating to the organization of the territory and state; the rules of order and joint rules of the two houses, and lists of their members, committees and employees; the names of all state officials, whether elected or appointed, and of all persons holding office from this state under the national government; the places where the said several officials reside, and the annual compensation of each; and statistical and other information of the kind heretofore published in the legislative manuals.
10,000 copies of the legislative manual shall be printed and distributed as follows:
(1) up to 20 copies shall be available to each member of the legislature on request;
(2) 50 copies to the State Historical Society;
(3) 25 copies to the state university;
(4) 60 copies to the state library;
(5) two copies each to the Library of Congress, the Minnesota veterans homes, the universities, the high schools, academies, seminaries, and colleges of the state, and the public libraries of the state;
(6) one copy each to other state institutions, the elective state officials, the appointed heads of departments, the officers and employees of the legislature, the justices of the supreme court, the judges of the court of appeals and the district court, the senators and representatives in Congress from this state, and the county auditors, recorders, and attorneys;
(7) one copy to each school, to be distributed through the superintendent of each school district; and
(8) the remainder may be disposed of as the secretary of state deems best.