(a) County boards must provide or contract for enough outpatient services within the county to meet the needs of adults with mental illness residing in the county. Services may be provided directly by the county through county-operated mental health centers or mental health clinics approved by the commissioner under section 245.69, subdivision 2; by contract with privately operated mental health centers or mental health clinics approved by the commissioner under section 245.69, subdivision 2; by contract with hospital mental health outpatient programs certified by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Hospital Organizations; or by contract with a licensed mental health professional as defined in section 245.462, subdivision 18, clauses (1) to (6). Clients may be required to pay a fee according to section 245.481. Outpatient services include:
(1) conducting diagnostic assessments;
(2) conducting psychological testing;
(3) developing or modifying individual treatment plans;
(4) making referrals and recommending placements as appropriate;
(5) treating an adult's mental health needs through therapy;
(6) prescribing and managing medication and evaluating the effectiveness of prescribed medication; and
(7) preventing placement in settings that are more intensive, costly, or restrictive than necessary and appropriate to meet client needs.
(b) County boards may request a waiver allowing outpatient services to be provided in a nearby trade area if it is determined that the client can best be served outside the county.
The county board shall require that all service providers of outpatient services:
(2) use a multidisciplinary mental health professional staff including at a minimum, arrangements for psychiatric consultation, licensed psychologist consultation, and other necessary multidisciplinary mental health professionals;
(3) develop individual treatment plans;
(4) provide initial appointments within three weeks, except in emergencies where there must be immediate access as described in section 245.469; and
(5) establish fee schedules approved by the county board that are based on a client's ability to pay.
Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes