(a) Correctional facilities shall follow applicable Occupational Safety and Health Administration guidelines under Code of Federal Regulations, title 29, part 1910.1030, for blood-borne pathogens.
(b) Every correctional facility shall adopt and follow a postexposure protocol for corrections employees who have experienced a significant exposure. The postexposure protocol must adhere to the most current recommendations of the United States Public Health Service and include, at a minimum, the following:
(1) a process for corrections employees to report an exposure in a timely fashion;
(2) a process for an infectious disease specialist, or a licensed physician who is knowledgeable about the most current recommendations of the United States Public Health Service in consultation with an infectious disease specialist, (i) to determine whether a significant exposure to one or more blood-borne pathogens has occurred, and (ii) to provide, under the direction of a licensed physician, a recommendation or recommendations for follow-up treatment appropriate to the particular blood-borne pathogen or pathogens for which a significant exposure has been determined;
(3) if there has been a significant exposure, a process to determine whether the inmate has a blood-borne pathogen through disclosure of test results, or through blood collection and testing as required by sections 241.33 to 241.342;
(4) a process for providing appropriate counseling prior to and following testing for a blood-borne pathogen regarding the likelihood of blood-borne pathogen transmission and follow-up recommendations according to the most current recommendations of the United States Public Health Service, recommendations for testing, and treatment;
(5) a process for providing appropriate counseling under clause (4) to the corrections employee and inmate; and
(6) compliance with applicable state and federal laws relating to data practices, confidentiality, informed consent, and the patient bill of rights.
Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes