The commissioner may exercise those powers necessary for the state to qualify for, accept, and disburse any federal money, including the power to:
(1) establish an adequate plan for rail service in the state as part of an overall planning process for all transportation services in the state, including a suitable process for updating, revising, and amending the plan;
(2) administer and coordinate the plan with other state agencies, and provide for the equitable distribution of resources;
(3) develop, promote, and support safe, adequate, and efficient rail transportation services; employ qualified personnel; maintain adequate programs of investigation, research, promotion, and development, with provisions for public participation; and take all practical steps to improve transportation safety and reduce transportation-related energy utilization and pollution;
(4) adopt and maintain adequate procedures for financial control, accounting, and performance evaluation in order to assure proper use of state and federal money; and
(5) do all things otherwise necessary to maximize federal assistance to the state.
Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes