An excavator shall:
(1) plan the excavation to avoid damage to and minimize interference with underground facilities in and near the construction area;
(2) use white markings for proposed excavations except where it can be shown that it is not practical;
(3) maintain a clearance between an underground facility and the cutting edge or point of any mechanized equipment, considering the known limit of control of the cutting edge or point to avoid damage to the facility;
(4) provide support for underground facilities in and near the construction area, including during backfill operations, to protect the facilities; and
(5) conduct the excavation in a careful and prudent manner.
Copyright © 2017 by the Revisor of Statutes, State of Minnesota. All rights reserved.