To further the development of indigenous energy resources and energy conservation, the commissioner shall establish an alternative energy engineering activity. The activity shall facilitate the development of specific projects in the public and private sectors and provide a broad range of information, education, and engineering assistance services necessary to accelerate energy conservation and alternative energy development in the state.
The alternative energy engineering activity shall:
(1) provide on-site technical assistance for alternative energy and conservation projects;
(2) develop information materials and educational programs to meet the needs of engineers, technicians, developers, and others in the alternative energy field;
(3) conduct feasibility studies when the results of the studies would be of benefit to others working in the same area;
(4) facilitate development of energy projects through assistance in finding financing, meeting regulatory requirements, gaining public and private support, limited technical consultation, and similar forms of assistance; and
(5) work with and use the services of Minnesota design professionals.