(a) Notwithstanding any law to the contrary, an executive branch state agency may not impose a new fee or increase an existing fee unless the new fee or increase is approved by law. For purposes of this section, a fee is any charge for goods, services, regulation, or licensure, and, notwithstanding paragraph (b), clause (3), includes charges for admission to or for use of public facilities owned by the state.
(b) This section does not apply to:
(1) charges billed within or between state agencies, or billed to federal agencies;
(2) the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities system;
(3) charges for goods and services provided for the direct and primary use of a private individual, business, or other entity;
(4) charges that authorize use of state-owned lands and minerals administered by the commissioner of natural resources by the issuance of leases, easements, cooperative farming agreements, and land and water crossing licenses and charges for sales of state-owned lands administered by the commissioner of natural resources; or
(5) state park fees and charges established by commissioner's order.
(c) An executive branch agency may reduce a fee that was set by rule before July 1, 2001, without legislative approval. Chapter 14 does not apply to fee reductions under this paragraph.
Copyright © 2018 by the Revisor of Statutes, State of Minnesota. All rights reserved.