(a) When a manufactured home is to be affixed or is affixed, as defined in section 273.125, subdivision 8, paragraph (b), to real property, the owner of the manufactured home may surrender the manufacturer's certificate of origin or certificate of title to the department for cancellation so that the manufactured home becomes an improvement to real property and is no longer titled as personal property. The department must not issue a certificate of title for a manufactured home under chapter 168A if the manufacturer's certificate of origin is or has been surrendered under this subdivision, except as provided in section 168A.142. Upon surrender of the manufacturer's certificate of origin or the certificate of title, the department must issue notice of surrender to the owner, and upon recording an affidavit of affixation, which the county recorder or registrar of titles, as applicable, must accept, the manufactured home is deemed to be an improvement to real property. An affidavit of affixation by the owner of the manufactured home must include the following information:
(1) the name, residence address, and mailing address of owner or owners of the manufactured home;
(2) the legal description of the real property in which the manufactured home is, or will be, located;
(3) a copy of the surrendered manufacturer's certificate of origin or certificate of title and the notice of surrender;
(4) a written statement from the county auditor or county treasurer of the county where the manufactured home is located stating that all property taxes payable in the current year, as provided under section 273.125, subdivision 8, paragraph (b), have been paid, or are not applicable;
(5) the name and address of the person designated by the applicant to record the original affidavit of affixation with the county recorder or registrar of titles for the county where the real property is located; and
(6) the signature of the person who executes the affidavit, properly executed before a person authorized to authenticate an affidavit in this state.
(b) The person designated in paragraph (a), clause (5), must record, or arrange for the recording of, the affidavit of affixation, accompanied by the fees for recording and for issuing a certified copy of the notice, including all attachments, showing the recording date. Upon obtaining the certified copy of the notice under this paragraph, the person designated in the affidavit must deliver the certified copy to the county auditor of the county in which the real property to which the manufactured home was affixed is located.
(c) The department is not liable for any errors, omissions, misstatements, or other deficiencies or inaccuracies in documents presented to the department under this section, if the documents presented appear to satisfy the requirements of this section. The department has no obligation to investigate the accuracy of statements contained in the documents.
An affidavit of affixation must be in substantially the following form and must contain the following information.
MANUFACTURED HOME AFFIDAVIT OF AFFIXATION
PURSUANT TO MINNESOTA STATUTES, SECTION 168A.141
Homeowner, being duly sworn, on his or her oath, states as follows:
1. Homeowner owns the manufactured home ("home") described as follows:
|New/Used||Year||Manufacturer's Name||Model Name or Model No.||Manufacturer's Serial No.||Length/Width|
2. A copy of the surrendered manufacturer's certificate of origin or certificate of title is attached.
3. A copy of the notice of surrender issued from the Minnesota Department of Public Safety Driver and Vehicle Services is attached.
4. The home is or will be located at the following "Property Address":
|Street or Route .||City .||County .||State .||Zip Code .|
5. The legal description of the property address ("land") is as follows or as attached hereto:
6. The homeowner is the owner of the land.
7. The home is, or must be promptly upon delivery, anchored to the land by attachment to a permanent foundation and connected to appropriate residential utilities (e.g., water, gas, electricity, sewer).
8. The homeowner intends that the home be an immovable permanent improvement to the land, free of any personal property security interest.
9. A copy of the written statement from the county auditor or county treasurer of the county in which the manufactured home is then located, stating that all property taxes payable in the current year (pursuant to Minnesota Statutes, section 273.125, subdivision 8, paragraph (b)), have been paid, or are not applicable, is attached.
10. The home must be assessed and taxed as an improvement to the land.
11. The name and address of the person designated by the homeowner to record the original affidavit of surrender with the county recorder or registrar of titles of the county in which the real estate is located is:
|Street Address .|
|City, State, Zip Code .|
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, homeowner(s) have executed this affidavit on this ....... day of ......., 20...
|Printed Name||City, State|
|Homeowner Signature (if applicable)|
This instrument was drafted by, and when recorded return to:
Subscribed and sworn to before me this ....... day of ......., .......
|Signature of Notary Public or Other Official|
Notary Stamp or Seal
Lender's Statement of Intent:
The undersigned ("lender") intends that the home be immovable and a permanent improvement to the land free of any personal property security interest.
|STATE OF . )|
|. ) ss:|
|COUNTY OF . )|
On the ....... day of ....... in the year ....... before me, the undersigned, a Notary Public in and for said state, personally appeared
personally known to me or proved to me on the basis of satisfactory evidence to be the individual(s) whose name(s) is (are) subscribed to the within instrument and acknowledged to me that he/she/they executed the same in his/her/their capacity(ies), and that by his/her/their signature(s) on the instrument, the individual(s), or the person on behalf of which the individual(s) acted, executed the instrument.
|Notary Printed Name|
|Notary Public, State of .|
|Qualified in the County of .|
|My commission expires .|
The department may not cancel a certificate of title if, under this chapter, a security interest has been perfected on the manufactured home. If a security interest has been perfected, the department must notify the owner that each secured party must release or satisfy the security interest prior to proceeding with surrender of the manufacturer's certificate of origin or certificate of title to the department for cancellation. Permanent attachment to real property or the recording of an affidavit of affixation does not extinguish an otherwise valid security interest in or tax lien on the manufactured home, unless the requirements of section 168A.141, subdivisions 1, 1a, and 2, including the release of any security interest, have been satisfied.
When a perfected security interest exists, or will exist, on the manufactured home at the time the manufactured home is affixed to real property, and the owner has not satisfied the requirements of section 168A.141, subdivision 1, the owner of the manufactured home, or its secured party, may record a notice with the county recorder, or with the registrar of titles, if the land is registered, stating that the manufactured home located on the property is encumbered by a perfected security interest and is not an improvement to real property. The notice must state the name and address of the secured party as set forth on the certificate of title, the legal description of the real property, and the name and address of the record fee owner of the real property on which the manufactured home is affixed. When the security interest is released or satisfied, the secured party must attach a copy of the release or satisfaction to a notice executed by the secured party containing the county recorder or registrar of titles document number of the notice of security interest. The notice of release or satisfaction must be recorded with the county recorder, or registrar of titles, if the land is registered. Neither the notice described in this subdivision nor the security interest on the certificate of title is deemed to be an encumbrance on the real property. The notices provided for in this subdivision need not be acknowledged.
Copyright © 2018 by the Revisor of Statutes, State of Minnesota. All rights reserved.