The commissioner of health shall:
(1) provide assistance to workplaces to develop policies that promote nonsmoking and are consistent with the Minnesota Clean Indoor Air Act;
(2) provide technical assistance, including design and evaluation methods, materials, and training to local health departments, communities, and other organizations that undertake community programs for the promotion of nonsmoking;
(3) collect and disseminate information and materials for smoking prevention;
(4) evaluate new and existing nonsmoking programs on a statewide and regional basis using scientific evaluation methods;
(5) conduct surveys in school-based populations regarding the epidemiology of smoking behavior, knowledge, and attitudes related to smoking, and the penetration of statewide smoking control programs; and
(6) report to the legislature each biennium on activities undertaken, smoking rates in the population and subgroups of the total population, evaluation activities and results of those activities, and recommendations for further action.