A water user district may be organized under the provisions of sections 110A.01 to 110A.36 after filing in the court a petition in compliance with the requirements set forth, and the approval of the petition by the court. The petition shall state that it is the intent and purpose of the petitioners to create a district under the provisions of sections 110A.01 to 110A.36, subject to approval by the court. The petition shall contain:
(1) the name of the proposed district;
(2) the object and purpose of the system proposed to be constructed or acquired, together with a general description of the nature, location, and method of operation of the proposed works;
(3) a description of the land constituting the proposed district and its boundaries, and the names of any cities or towns included partly or wholly within the boundaries;
(4) the location of the principal place of business of the proposed district;
(5) a statement that the proposed district shall not have the power to levy taxes or assessments; and
(6) the number of members of the board of directors of the proposed district, which shall be not less than five nor more than 13, a statement as to whether the directors shall be elected at large or shall be apportioned to election divisions, the names and addresses of the members who shall serve until their successors are elected and qualified as provided in sections 110A.01 to 110A.36, and if election divisions are provided for, the respective divisions which the directors are to represent. The persons named in the petition as directors shall be owners of land within the district. If election divisions are provided for, they shall be owners of land within the divisions they are to represent.