97B.020 FIREARMS SAFETY CERTIFICATE REQUIRED.
(a) Except as provided in this section and section
97A.451, subdivision 3a
, a person born
after December 31, 1979, may not obtain an annual license to take wild animals by firearms
unless the person has:
(1) a firearms safety certificate or equivalent certificate;
(2) a driver's license or identification card with a valid firearms safety qualification indicator
issued under section
171.07, subdivision 13
(3) a previous hunting license with a valid firearms safety qualification indicator;
(4) an apprentice hunter validation issued under section
(5) other evidence indicating that the person has completed in this state or in another state a
hunter safety course recognized by the department under a reciprocity agreement or certified by
the department as substantially similar.
(b) A person who is on active duty and has successfully completed basic training in the
United States armed forces, reserve component, or National Guard may obtain a hunting license
or approval authorizing hunting regardless of whether the person is issued a firearms safety
(c) A person born after December 31, 1979, may not use a lifetime license to take wild
animals by firearms, unless the person meets the requirements for obtaining an annual license
under paragraph (a) or (b).
History: 1991 c 63 s 1; 1999 c 231 s 125; 2000 c 341 s 9; 2002 c 323 s 6; 2003 c 28 art 1 s
14; 1Sp2005 c 1 art 2 s 107; 2007 c 131 art 1 s 34