604.12 RESTRICTIONS ON DENYING ACCESS TO PLACES OF PUBLIC
ACCOMMODATION; CIVIL ACTIONS.
Subdivision 1. Definitions.
As used in this section:
(1) "place of public accommodation" has the meaning given in section
, but excludes recreational trails;
(2) "criminal gang" has the meaning given in section
609.229, subdivision 1
(3) "obscene" has the meaning given in section
617.241, subdivision 1
Subd. 2. Prohibition.
(a) A place of public accommodation may not restrict access,
admission, or usage to a person solely because the person operates a motorcycle or is wearing
clothing that displays the name of an organization or association.
(b) This subdivision does not prohibit the restriction of access, admission, or usage to a
(1) the person's conduct poses a risk to the health or safety of another or to the property of
(2) the clothing worn by the person is obscene or includes the name or symbol of a criminal
Subd. 3. Civil cause of action.
A person injured by a violation of subdivision 2 may bring an
action for actual damages, punitive damages under sections
in an amount not
to exceed $500, injunctive relief, and reasonable attorney fees in an amount not to exceed $500.
Subd. 4. Violation not a crime.
, a violation of subdivision
2 is not a crime.
History: 1998 c 367 art 11 s 18