MN Legislature


Revisor of Statutes Menu


2007 Minnesota Statutes

This is a historical version of this statute chapter. Also view the most recent published version.

    Subdivision 1. Filing. In the event of a dispute between a county and the Office of Strategic
and Long-Range Planning under section 394.232 or a county and a city under section 462.3535,
regarding the development, content, or approval of a community-based comprehensive land use
plan, an aggrieved party may file a written request for mediation, as provided in subdivision 2,
with the Bureau of Mediation Services at any time prior to a final action on a community-based
comprehensive plan or within 30 days of a final action on a community-based comprehensive plan.
    Subd. 2. Mediation. Within ten days of receiving a request for mediation in subdivision 1,
the Bureau of Mediation Services shall provide written notice of the request for mediation to
the parties and provide a list of neutrals experienced in land use planning or local government
issues obtained from the Supreme Court, Minnesota Municipal Board, Bureau of Mediation
Services, Minnesota State Bar Association, Hennepin County Bar Association, Office of Dispute
Resolution, and others. Within 30 days thereafter, the affected parties shall select a mediator from
the list of neutrals or someone else acceptable to the parties and submit to mediation for a period
of 30 days facilitated by the bureau. If the dispute remains unresolved after the close of the 30-day
mediation period, the bureau shall prepare a report of its recommendations and transmit the report
within 30 days to the parties. Within 60 days after the date of issuance of the mediator's report, the
dispute shall be submitted to binding arbitration as provided in this chapter. The mediator's report
submitted to the parties is informational only and is not admissible in arbitration.
History: 1997 c 202 art 6 s 1

700 State Office Building, 100 Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., St. Paul, MN 55155 ♦ Phone: (651) 296-2868 ♦ TTY: 1-800-627-3529 ♦ Fax: (651) 296-0569