The definitions in this section apply to this chapter.
"Government" includes a branch, department, agency, official, employee, agent, or other person with authority to act on behalf of the federal government, this state, or any political subdivision of this state, including municipalities and their boards, commissions, and departments, or other public authority.
"Judicial claim" or "claim" includes any civil lawsuit, cause of action, claim, cross-claim, counterclaim, or other judicial pleading or filing seeking damages for an alleged injury. "Judicial claim" does not include a claim solely for injunctive relief.
"Motion" includes any motion to dismiss, motion for summary judgment, or any other judicial pleading filed to dispose of a judicial claim.
"Moving party" means any person on whose behalf the motion described in section 554.02, subdivision 1, is filed seeking dismissal of an action under this chapter.
"Public participation" means speech or lawful conduct that is genuinely aimed in whole or in part at procuring favorable government action, including but not limited to:
(1) seeking assistance from, or reporting suspected unlawful conduct to, law enforcement;
(2) speaking before a zoning board regarding a real estate development project;
(3) communicating with an elected official concerning a change in law;
(4) demonstrating peacefully for or against a government action; and
(5) filing a complaint with a government entity regarding safety, sexual harassment, civil rights, or equal employment rights.
Copyright © 2016 by the Revisor of Statutes, State of Minnesota. All rights reserved.