299A.785 TRAFFICKING STUDY.
Subdivision 1. Information to be collected.
The commissioner shall elicit the cooperation
and assistance of government agencies and nongovernmental organizations as appropriate to assist
in the collection of trafficking data. The commissioner shall direct the appropriate authorities in
each agency and organization to make best efforts to collect information relevant to tracking
progress on trafficking. The information to be collected may include, but is not limited to:
(1) the numbers of arrests, prosecutions, and successful convictions of traffickers and those
committing trafficking-related crimes, including, but not limited to, the following offenses:
(unlawful conduct with respect to documents in
furtherance of labor or sex trafficking);
(promotion of prostitution);
(other prostitution crimes);
(solicitation of a child); and
(use of minors in sexual performance);
(2) statistics on the number of trafficking victims, including demographics, method of
recruitment, and method of discovery;
(3) trafficking routes and patterns, states or country of origin, and transit states or countries;
(4) method of transportation, motor vehicles, aircraft, watercraft, or by foot if any
transportation took place; and
(5) social factors that contribute to and foster trafficking, especially trafficking of women
Subd. 2. Report and annual publication.
(a) By September 1, 2006, the commissioner of
public safety shall report to the chairs of the senate and house of representatives committees and
divisions having jurisdiction over criminal justice policy and funding a summary of its findings.
This report shall include, to the extent possible, the information to be collected in subdivision 1
and any other information the commissioner finds relevant to the issue of trafficking in Minnesota.
(b) The commissioner shall gather, compile, and publish annually statistical data on the
extent and nature of trafficking in Minnesota. This annual publication shall be available to the
public and include, to the extent possible, the information to be collected in subdivision 1 and any
other information the commissioner finds relevant to the issue of trafficking in Minnesota.
History: 2005 c 136 art 11 s 7