An athletic trainer shall complete during every three-year period at least the equivalent of 60 contact hours of continuing professional postdegree education in programs approved by the board.
The board shall approve a continuing education program that has been approved for continuing education credit by the Board of Certification, or the board's recognized successor.
A continuing education program that has not been approved under subdivision 2 shall be approved by the board if:
(1) the program content directly relates to the practice of athletic training or sports medicine;
(2) each member of the program faculty shows expertise in the subject matter by holding a degree from an accredited education program, having verifiable experience in the field of athletic training or sports medicine, having special training in the subject area, or having experience teaching in the subject area;
(3) the program lasts at least one contact hour;
(4) there are specific written objectives describing the goals of the program for the participants; and
(5) the program sponsor maintains attendance records for four years.
The board shall periodically select a random sample of athletic trainers and require the athletic trainers to show evidence to the board of having completed the continuing education requirements attested to by the athletic trainer. Either the athletic trainer or state or national organizations that maintain continuing education records may provide to the board documentation of attendance at a continuing education program.
To meet the continuing education requirement in subdivision 1, an athletic trainer may have no more than ten hours of continuing education in the areas of management, risk management, personal growth, and educational techniques in a three-year reporting period.
Copyright © 2016 by the Revisor of Statutes, State of Minnesota. All rights reserved.