(a) Each manufacturer who registers under section 115A.1312 must, by September 1, 2007, and each year thereafter, pay to the commissioner of revenue an annual registration fee. The commissioner of revenue must deposit the fee in the state treasury and credit the fee to the environmental fund.
(b) The registration fee is equal to a base fee of $2,500, plus a variable recycling fee calculated according to the formula:
((A x B) - (C + D)) x E, where:
(1) A = the number of pounds of a manufacturer's video display devices sold to households during the previous program year, as reported to the department under section 115A.1316, subdivision 1;
(2) B = the proportion of sales of video display devices required to be recycled, set at 0.6 for the first program year and 0.8 for the second program year and every year thereafter;
(3) C = the number of pounds of covered electronic devices recycled by a manufacturer from households during the previous program year, as reported to the department under section 115A.1316, subdivision 1;
(4) D = the number of recycling credits a manufacturer elects to use to calculate the variable recycling fee, as reported to the department under section 115A.1316, subdivision 1; and
(5) E = the estimated per-pound cost of recycling, initially set at $0.50 per pound for manufacturers who recycle less than 50 percent of the product (A x B); $0.40 per pound for manufacturers who recycle at least 50 percent but less than 90 percent of the product (A x B); and $0.30 per pound for manufacturers who recycle at least 90 percent but less than 100 percent of the product (A x B).
(c) If, as specified in paragraph (b), the term C - (A x B) equals a positive number of pounds, that amount is defined as the manufacturer's recycling credits. A manufacturer may retain recycling credits to be added, in whole or in part, to the actual value of C, as reported under section 115A.1316, subdivision 2, during any succeeding program year, provided that no more than 25 percent of a manufacturer's obligation (A x B) for any program year may be met with recycling credits generated in a prior program year. A manufacturer may sell any portion or all of its recycling credits to another manufacturer, at a price negotiated by the parties, who may use the credits in the same manner.
(d) For the purpose of calculating a manufacturer's variable recycling fee under paragraph (b), the weight of covered electronic devices collected from households located outside the 11-county metropolitan area, as defined in subdivision 2, paragraph (c), is calculated at 1.5 times their actual weight.
(e) The registration fee for the initial program year and the base registration fee thereafter for a manufacturer who produces fewer than 100 video display devices for sale annually to households is $1,250.
(a) Registration fees may be used by the commissioner for:
(1) implementing sections 115A.1312 to 115A.1330, including transfer to the commissioner of revenue to carry out the department's duties under section 115A.1320, subdivision 2, and transfer to the commissioner of administration for responsibilities under section 115A.1324; and
(2) grants to counties outside the 11-county metropolitan area, as defined in paragraph (b), and to private entities that collect for recycling covered electronic devices in counties outside the 11-county metropolitan area, where the collection and recycling is consistent with the respective county's solid waste plan, for the purpose of carrying out the activities under sections 115A.1312 to 115A.1330. In awarding competitive grants under this clause, the commissioner must give preference to counties and private entities that are working cooperatively with manufacturers to help them meet their recycling obligations under section 115A.1318, subdivision 1.
(b) The 11-county metropolitan area consists of the counties of Anoka, Carver, Chisago, Dakota, Hennepin, Isanti, Ramsey, Scott, Sherburne, Washington, and Wright.
Copyright © 2013 by the Office of the Revisor of Statutes, State of Minnesota. All rights reserved.